Tips and Tricks

What is the Commission for the restoration of land claims?

What is the Commission for the restoration of land claims?

The Mandate of the Commission on Restitution of Land Rights (CRLR) is to provide for the Restitution of land in respect of which persons of communities were dispossessed under or for furthering the purpose of furthering the objects of racially based discriminatory law.

How do I lodge a land claim in South Africa?

You have to visit a lodgement office to claim. You have until 30 June 2019 to lodge a land claim. Mobile lodgement offices will visit your district during the claim period. You will receive a letter after the capturing of your claim information.

How do I check my land claims in South Africa?

Where can I find out more about land claims, rural development and land reform programmes?

  1. Phone +2712 312 8911.
  2. E-mail: [email protected].

What does the land claim court do?

The Land Claims Court was established in 1996. Its primary focus is dealing with land restitution/ land claims cases. The court deals with restitution cases in the form of referrals from the commissioner’s office or when they come directly through claimants or affected land owners…read more.

How long does it take to claim land?

Do I have to wait 30 years? Normally, a squatter must possess land for 12 years before claiming ownership under adverse possession.

Who qualifies land claim?

The law lists five groups of claimants as follows:

  • Dispossessed individuals.
  • A direct descendant of a dispossessed person who had rights to the property.
  • A community executor.
  • An administrator or executor of a deceased person’s estate.
  • Someone who is juristic like a trust or a company.

How can I get my land back?

The easiest way to take control and restore possession of your property under the law is going to the court and seeking justice. Civil court remedies are easily available where personal appearances required in the court can be maintained through competent and chosen agents/ lawyers.

What are the two types of land claims?

There are different types of land claims. Comprehensive claims (also known as modern treaties) deal with Indigenous rights, while specific claims concern the government’s outstanding obligations under historic treaties or the Indian Act.

When can you claim land?

Generally speaking, if you have been occupying lands that you do not own, rent or otherwise have permission to use in excess of 12 years (or in the case of Crown lands 30 years), without any objection from the registered owner, you can claim what is known as “adverse possession”.

How do I contact the Land Claims Commissioner in South Africa?

Follow this link to view the contact details for the Land Claims Commissioner: National Office. Registrar: Land Claims Court. Mr Stephen Cindi. Tel: 011 781 2291. Fax: 011 781 2217/8. E-mail: [email protected]. Land Claims Commissioner: Regional Offices.

What does the Land Claims Court do?

The Land Claims Court hears disputes arising from those the Restitution of Land Rights Act 22 of 1994 , the Land Reform (Labour Tenants) Act 3 of 1996 and the Extension of Security of Tenure Act 62 of 1997. You can also contact the Land Claims Court:

Where is the Land Claims Court in Randburg?

Physical Address: Land Claims Court, Randburg Mall (opposite the Randburg Post Office), Corner of Hill Street and Kent Avenue, Randburg, 2194

How many land claims were made before the December 1998 deadline?

People who had been dispossessed of their land had until December 1998 to lodge a claim for the restoration with a Land Claims Commission. It is estimated that a total of 67 531 claims was lodged before the deadline. The restitution process is managed by the Land Claims Commissioner and is as follows: